My first post here. Fantastic to have a forum with a focus on Altec Lansing.
When I was much younger back in the ?70s I was very envious of my friends Altec speakers. I can?t remember if they were 846s or 878s. But I do remember enjoying the lively dynamic music that filled the room which added to the level of enthusiasm at his parties.
That sense of nostalgia has motivated me to research these two and the information provided by the members on this board has helped tremendously in the hunt to find a suitable pair. I?ve been looking for several months now and unfortunately, where I?m located, they are very few and far between and it?s rare to find cabs in decent condition for the living/listening room.
My current playback consist of a Systemdek IIX, GF TubeDAC11->Linn Kairn->Ideal Innovations Custom 30 tube amp->Tannoy Ardens. I also have a Bryston 3B to incorporate if and when needed.
Recently I have come across a pair of 878B Santiagos that appear to be in pretty good condition. The 411s have been reconed. The cones look proper but the seller isn?t the original owner and doesn?t know what cone kit was used or who did the work. The 801N crossover and equalizing network are original and haven?t be recapped or recoiled. The 806-8As sound OK AFAIK but may need to be refurbished eventually.
The Santiagos don?t seem to be too popular with the Altec fans out there. Apparently the similarly sized 846B Valencias are the more favoured of the two. Perhaps due to their efficiency and upper bass smoothness which integrates better with the horn. I haven?t found any 846s to listen to and form an opinion. I know the Santiagos didn?t sell well back in the day. They were more expensive than the Valencias and required more playback power.
It?s winter, it?s cold up here and I need an indoor project. Can adopting these potentially under appreciated members of the Altec family be a rewarding experience or should I set my sights on something other than Santiagos - maybe the even harder to find M19s?
Cheers,
Greg







Bookmarks